Want to Burst into Flames at Your Next Cookout? Apply Sunscreen!
Want to really impress your friends at your next backyard cookout? Apply sunscreen while your tending the grill and immediately burst into flames. That's what happened to a Massachusetts man after he applied Banana Boat suntan lotion. The grill ignited the lotion and he got one heck of a sunburn.
Sunscreen is supposed to protect against burning but Brett Sigworth was cooking dogs on a charcoal grill, when he decided to put some sunscreen on. Unfortunately for him, the lotion caught fire and received 2nd degree burns to his neck, ears and back.
There is a warning on the label that say not to use next to a burning flame but does not state any of the dangers once the sunscreen is applied.
According to an official statement from Banana Boat.
We are unaware of any prior incidents similar to what Brett has described, but because nothing is more important to us than the safety of our consumers, we are taking this matter very seriously.
Brett doesn't plan to sue but hopes the company will offer more serious warnings.