Contact Us

To Spank Or Not To Spank? More Americans OK with Physical Punishment of Their Children.

Comstock

Nothing says punishment like a good ol’ spanking from your parent. I grew up in the 80′s and 90′s where spanking a child was still seen as “OK”. Modern times have shown us that younger parents don’t believe too much in the old methodology of physical punishment.

Who’s to say who is right and wrong I suppose in the conversation, but I hate it when someone see a parent spanking their child that their first though is “should I call child services?”

Which is interesting considering a new study says that 81% of Americans are “OK” with physical punishment of a child. 

Earlier this week a story hit the net of one parent’s crusade to end corporal punishment at schools across the country. This was do, in part, to a letter she got from her child’s school where the school asked permission of the parent to use physical punishment on their child.

Harris Interactive conducted the online survey that found eight out of ten (81%) Americans say a “parent spanking their child is sometimes appropriate“, leaving 19% to say it’s “never appropriate”.

The “appropriate” number is down slightly from the last time Harris conducted the poll back in 1995. The reason? Generational. Younger people (18 to 34 year old) don’t see spanking as a proper form of punishment, while older people (68 and above) say it is OK.

Of the younger end of the poll, 34% say they were spanked when their parents should not have while 66% say that what they deserved. (Draw your own conclusions about those who feel they shouldn’t have been spanked).

What about other physical punishments? 23% of people polled said they received worse physical punishment than a spanking at times growing up.

So that begs the question: To Spank Or Not To Spank?

[Harris Interactive]

NEXT: Alabama School Sends Home Corporal Punishment Parental Consent Form

 

 

More from Q103

Best of the Web

Leave a Comment

It appears that you already have an account created within our VIP network of sites on . To keep your points and personal information safe, we need to verify that it's really you. To activate your account, please confirm your password. When you have confirmed your password, you will be able to log in through Facebook on both sites.

Forgot your password?

*Please note that your points, prizes and activities will not be shared between programs within our VIP network.

It appears that you already have an account on this site associated with . To connect your existing account with your Facebook account, just click on the account activation button below. You will maintain your existing profile and VIP program points. After you do this, you will be able to always log in to http://q103albany.com using your Facebook account.

*Please note that your points, prizes and activities will not be shared between programs within our VIP network.

Please fill out the information below to help us provide you a better experience.

Register on Q 103 - Albany's Rock Station quickly by logging in with your Facebook account. It's just as secure, and no password to remember!

Not a Member? Sign Up Here.

Register on Q 103 - Albany's Rock Station quickly by logging in with your Facebook account. It's just as secure, and no password to remember!