Why I “Keep Up With The Kardashian’s”
They’re loud, outspoken, obnoxious and extremely too open with each other. They’re rich, famous, spoiled and too beautiful for their own good. They prance around in ridiculous heels and designer clothes. They eat out constantly, travel the world in a private jet, and live in luxurious mansions and houses that are too big for them. They are the Kardashian’s, and I absolutely love them.
I love reality shows, even though most of them are somewhat scripted, and I hate admitting that I do, because I’m against everything that most of these “reality” stars stand for. They’re all about fame and money and having the best, and they’re so conceited and selfish that I can’t help but watch. It’s just sad to see how they live in their own world when practically right outside their window is the real world where people work to make a living; where there are children dying of starvation, and where people are homeless from poverty and natural disasters.
However, the stars of E!’s hit show “Keeping up with the Kardashian’s” (aired in 2007) are different from the typical Hollywood celebrities. They’ve got a big family, but are extremely close and open with one another, and have more love than most families, even if it doesn’t always seem like it. The family tree is as follows:
- Bruce Jenner:61, husband of Kris Jenner and father of Kendall and Kylie Jenner. Step-father of Kourtney, Kim, Khloe and Rob Kardashian. He was crowned “the world’s greatest athlete,” when in 1976 he won the Olympic gold medal in Montreal for scoring 8,634 points in the decathlon. Since then, he has done several projects and appeared on numerous television shows. He currently is a celebrity spokesperson and highly respected motivational speaker. He also is able to contain his sanity most of the time, considering he’s surrounded by estrogen 24/7. He is a wonderful guy, husband and father, even though he is oblivious to what is going on in his family most of the time. He is a typical “old man,” as he enjoys staying home and playing with his “toys.”
- Kris Jenner: Wife of Bruce Jenner and mother of Kourtney, Kim, Khloe and Rob Kardashian, as well as Kendall and Kylie Jenner. She and Bruce have been married for almost 20 years and have a happy and loving marriage. She is the glue of her family and everything and everyone would fall apart without her. She manages her three eldest daughters and keeps their schedules on track, and even at the age of 55, is a huge socialite. She’s always bubbly and busy with a ton of projects and still has time to take care of her family.
- Kourtney Kardashian: 31, daughter to Kris Jenner and step-daughter to Bruce Jenner. Sister to Kim, Khloe and Rob, and half-sister to Kendall and Kylie. She is part owner of D-A-S-H clothing store, a model and a fairly-new mother to son Mason Dash Disick, born in 2009, whom she had with boyfriend Scott Disick. She is the quieter, lower-key sister, but can be the exact opposite at a moment’s notice. She’s sweet, realistic and a great big sister. Like her mother and sister’s, she’s a big socialite and always has something going on.
- Kim Kardashian: 30, daughter to Kris Jenner and step-daughter to Bruce Jenner. Sister to Kourtney, Khloe
and Rob, and half-sister to Kendall and Kylie. Part-owner of D-A-S-H clothing store, Kim is the most popular of the bunch, as she does most of the modeling/traveling of the family. She has also done projects on the side, such as fitness DVD’s and developing her own perfume. Men love her and her (overly) huge behind, and some even refer to her as “perfect.” She is the most high-maintenance sister, and lives in a multi-million dollar mansion by herself. If she doesn’t have a few things going on at once, she’s bored.
- Khloe Kardashian: 26, daughter to Kris Jenner and step-daughter to Bruce Jenner. Sister to Kourtney, Kim and Rob, and half-sister to Kendall and Kylie. Wife to Laker’s basketball star Lamar Odom (since 2009). She is also part-owner of D-A-S-H, and aligned with PETA to do a campaign titled “I’d rather go naked than wear fur,” which she posed nude for, and was seen on billboards throughout LA. She is the most tomboyish of the sisters, and is a very loyal, honest and realistic person. She loves her family and will do anything for them and will defend their honor in any situation. She steers clear of those she does not consider worth her time.
- Rob Kardashian: 23, son to Kris Jenner and step-son to Bruce Jenner. Brother to Kourtney, Kim and Khloe, and half-brother to Kendall and Kylie. He is mostly in the background of the show and likes to do his own thing. He is a typical male who enjoys going to bars and clubs, and is always on the lookout for females. He once dated Cheetah Girls star Adrienne Bailon. He tends to do things without thinking, such as getting Adrienne’s name tattooed on his chest. Besides Bruce and Lamar, he doesn’t have many ally’s as he is greatly outnumbered by all of the women in his life. He embraces it, however, as he is close with everyone. He
currently lives with Khloe and Lamar.
- Kendall Jenner: 15, daughter to Kris and Bruce Jenner, sister to Kylie Jenner, and half-sister to Kourtney, Kim, Khloe and Rob Kardashian. She is following in the footsteps of her older half-siblings, as she is starting a modeling career of her own. She is not shown much, but is a typical teenage girl who has her father wrapped around her finger, and often has him worried, as she is into boys now and is starting to go out with friends more frequently.
- Kylie Jenner: 13, daughter to Kris and Bruce Jenner, sister to Kendall Jenner, and half-sister to Kourtney, Kim, Khloe and Rob Kardashian. She is shown the least, as she is the youngest one. She is starting to come into her own, as she recently also started modeling. She and Kendall are very close and could easily pass for twins. They are both the light of Bruce’s eye and are daddy’s little girls.
- Scott Disick: 26, boyfriend to Kourtney and father to Mason. He has been in the Kardashian’s lives for a few years now, and will never be loved as much as he wants to be. He has been in trouble in the past with drinking and has cheated on Kourtney while they were on and off, but they are currently together. He is big-headed and at times selfish. He dresses like he is from GQ, which makes his jerk status even higher. He is better than he used to be, but tends to only be a father when it’s convenient for him. He’s good to Kourtney for the most part, but the family is not very fond of him because of his past. Khloe especially despises him and will not even let him in her house.
- Mason Dash Disick: 13 months, son to Kourtney Kardashian and Scott Disick. Grandson to Kris Jenner and step-grandson to Bruce Jenner. Nephew to Kim, Khloe and Rob, and step-nephew to Kendall and Kylie. He is adorable and chubby, and is loved immensely by the whole family. Luckily he got his looks from mommy.
Those are the main characters and family members of the Kardashians. Bruce also has four other children from previous marriages: Burton, Brandon, Brody and Casey.
Kris’s first husband, Robert Kardashian, passed away in 2003 at age 59 from cancer. He is Kourtney, Kim, Khloe and Rob’s biological father. He was a lawyer and is most known for his trial defense of O.J. Simpson. Often in the show, old photos and videos of the girls and Rob with their dad are shown. They were all very close with him and think and talk about him often and how wonderful of a father he was to them.
They all have their own personalities, but together they make one, blended family. Bruce happily took the fatherly role for the kids and truly loves them like his own, and even calls them his daughters and son, but never lets them forget about Robert. They are the most down-to-earth people for who they are and what they have in life. They truly love one another and appreciate all they have in their lives. Since losing their father, they realize you have to be grateful for everything you have because when that someone or something is gone you can never get it back. They are crazy and out of control at times, but they enjoy life to the fullest. They don’t change or do certain things when the cameras are on; they are themselves and they do what they love. They don’t need the money or the fame, but they appreciate it and embrace it. If only other celebrities took after them, they probably wouldn’t be so hated.
Spin-off’s of “Keeping up with the Kardashian’s” include Kourtney and Khloe take Miami, which aired 2009-10. It was about the girls opening up a second D-A-S-H store in Miami, and the malarky that went along with it. Kourtney and Kim take New York is the latest spin-off. It is the same idea, but with the new location in New York this time. It airs Sunday, January 23rd at 10 pm on E!
“I don’t think fame is that important to me. I think that we were all raised knowing that the most important thing is family – I guess I never really thought about fame and even when we were talking about doing the show I didn’t really think about it.” – Kourtney Kardashian- Interview with Female First