Talk Like A Pirate On The Q103 Pirate Cruise
Ahoy matey’s!!! The Q103 Pirate Cruise will take place along the Hudson River on Friday night August 3rd from 7p-10p! Are ye cited?… thar’s plenty ah tickets to be had. Since this is the first time Q103 will raise the Jolly Roger aboard the Dutch Apple Cruise Ship, we thought some pirate chatter is what ye be after. There is a whole pirate language to use on your lazy excuse of a crew, so study up and be ready to speak like a pirate… Aaargh!
While dressing like a pirate, buccaneer or wench are not necessary to enjoy the cruise, speaking like a pirate can guarantee a swashbucklin’ good time. Some rules to consider when speaking like a pirate include;
Double up on your adjectives. Example: Pirates never say its a big ship. They say its a great grand ship!
Drop all your “g”‘s when speakin! Such as cruisin, rowin, fightin. Also it helps to drop ye “V”‘s.
Ne’er speak in anythin but the present tense.
Some Pirate vocabulary words to help you on the Q103 Pirate Cruise.
- Ahoy: Hey!
- Avast: Stop!
- Aye: Yes
- Black spot: to be ‘placin’ the black spot’ be markin’ someone for death.
- Booty: treasure
- Buccaneer: a pirate who be answerin’ to no man or blasted government.
- By the Powers!: an exclamation, uttered by Long John Silver in Treasure Island!
- Cat o’ nine tails: whip for floggin’ mutineers
- Corsair: a pirate who be makin’ his berth in the Med-…Medi-…that sea ‘tween Spain and Africa, aye!
- Davy Jones’ Locker: the bottom o’ the sea, where the souls of dead men lie
- Doubloons: pieces of gold…
- Fiddlers Green: the private heaven where pirates be goin’ when they die.
- Furner: a ship which be yer own, not one ye steal an’ plunder.
- Gentlemen o’ fortune: a slightly more positive term fer pirates!
- Go on the account: to embark on a piratical cruise
- Grog: A pirate’s favorite drink.
- Jack: a flag or a sailor
- Jolly Roger: the skull and crossbones, the pirate flag!
- Keelhaul: a truly vicious punishment where a scurvy dog be tied to a rope and dragged along the barnacle-encrusted bottom of a ship. They not be survivin’ this.
- Landlubber: “Land-lover,” someone not used to life onboard a ship.
- Lass: A woman.
- Lily-livered: faint o’ heart
- Loaded to the Gunwales (pron. gunnels): drunk
- Matey: A shipmate or a friend.
- Me hearty: a friend or shipmate.
- Me: My.
- Pieces o’ eight: pieces o’ silver which can be cut into eights to be givin’ small change.
- Privateer: a pirate officially sanctioned by a national power
- Scallywag: A bad person. A scoundrel.
- Scurvy dog!: a fine insult!
- Shiver me timbers!: an exclamation of surprise, to be shouted most loud.
- Son of a Biscuit Eater: a derogatory term indicating a bastard son of a sailor
- Sprogs: raw, untrained recruits
- Squadron: a group of ten or less warships
- Squiffy: a buffoon
- Swaggy: a scurvy cur’s ship what ye be intendin’ to loot!
- Swashbucklin’: fightin’ and carousin’ on the high seas!
- Sweet trade: the career of piracy
- Thar: The opposite of “here.”
- Walk the plank: this one be bloody obvious.
- Wench: a lady, although ye gents not be wantin’ to use this around a lady who be stronger than ye.
- Wi’ a wannion: wi’ a curse, or wi’ a vengeance. Boldly, loudly!
- Yo-ho-ho: Pirate laughter
We hope your ready to be loaded to the gunwales for some fun! The cruise begins boardin around 6:30pm. The entire Q103 air personalities will be in pirate threads and the Q103 Q-Tease will be dressed as sexy pirate wenches. The band Hygeer will be performin two sets of kick ass rock and there will plenty of FREE grub from Capital Q Bar-B-Que , located at 329 Ontario Street in Albany. We hope you’re ready to pig out on smoked BBQ chicken, St Louis or Kansas City Ribs. Check out their menu at www.eatmypork.com.
We’ll be playin Pirate games to win tickets to the Trespass America Festival and Q-Ruption as well as other great prizes! There are also prizes for the best pirate and wench.
Shiver me timbers!! All this for the low low price of $10.39! *Drinks are not included in the price.