Power Outages, Roads Closed In Wake Of Storms
Last night (May 29) saw a quick band of storms roll in to the Albany region and leave within an hour. Though it was a short storm, it caused enough damage.
Tornado warnings, Thunderstorm Warnings, and Flash Flood Warnings were all issued during the 60 minute storm. It all started roughly before 7 pm as the fast line of storms began to enter the region with heavy winds and rain.
An unconfirmed funnel cloud was spotted in Rotterdamn near Curry Road, the National Weather Service will be out today to investigate if a tornado did in fact touchdown.
In the wake of the storm; downed trees, limbs and power lines coupled with flash flooding wrecked havoc leaving nearly 14,000 people without power. For a full list of current outages: CLICK HERE
Local police departments have put out notices (seen below) about closed roads and in Rotterdamn, police are asking that unnecessary travel not be taken.
– The Schenectady Police Department would like to advise the public that Broadway between the intersections of Hegeman St. and Guilderland Ave. in the City of Schenectady will be closed to all vehicular traffic. The road is closed due to a multitude trees and power lines down as a result of the storm. — The entire length of Campbell Avenue, from Broadway to the city line.
– Broadway, from Guilderland to Olean Street. Traffic entering the City of Schenectady from the Town of Rotterdam on Broadway is advised to take Visher to Guilderland Avenue.
– Consaul Road will be closed from Route 7 to Balltown Rd.
– Residents are reminded to treat all downed wires as “live wires” and contact either the Schenectady Police Department or National Grid if any wires are located. All unnecessary traffic should be limited in the Woodlawn and Bellevue neighborhoods. These areas are being patrolled by members of this Department, the Schenectady County Auxiliary Police, and Neighborhood Watch
–Boght Rd – Alt 7 to Meadowbrook
– Lishakill Rd – Veeder Rd to New Shaker Rd
– Mill Rd - Rt 7 to Forts Ferry Rd
– Park Ave – Hillcrest to Spring Ave
– Riverview Rd – Vly Rd to 300′ in
–Sparrowbush Rd – Fairlawn Dr to Flicker Dr
Due to severe weather, which has resulted in many roads being impassable due to trees and wires being down, the Town of Rotterdam is requesting that there be no unnecessary travel. Until further notice, only authorized emergency vehicles should be on the road.