How to Avoid Cabin Fever During These Brutal Cold Days in the Cap Region
If being cooped up inside during these crazy cold days we've been having has got you feeling a little agitated here's a few ways to shake that Cabin Fever.
The Capital Region has been experiencing some brutally cold days recently and it doesn't seem like we are going to be getting some relief anytime soon. If being stuck indoors during this crazy cold snap has got you feeling a bit crankier than usual you are not alone.
Apparently Cabin Fever is a real thing and can have you feeling lethargic and unmotivated, irritated and on edge for no apparent reason, and make it difficult for you to concentrate on what's in front of you when you you have been cooped up for too long.
Check, check, and check! I literally checked my phone 5x, watched two episodes of Big Bang Theory, and snapped at my roommate trying to write just those two paragraphs. I know we live in the North East and that winter takes up a pretty big chunk of our year but usually it's not so crazy cold all the time to the point that I just want to hibernate on the couch binge watching Netflix for weeks on end.
So if you are feeling like you are experiencing a bit of the winter blues or Cabin Fever about now here are some tips to help pull you out of that funk:
- Get up and get moving! Easier said than done, I know, but making yourself do it can do a lot for you mood. Push yourself to stay socially and physically active.
- Enjoy some natural sunlight. It may be cold out but at least we do seem to be getting some bursts of sun here and there. Something as simple as reading a book or listening to some tunes near an open window while the sun is shining can help put a little pep back in your step.
- Try to stay away from all the delicious comfort foods that are high in carbs and high in fat that we all seem to crave (or at least I do) when the cold hits. Get some fresh veggies and protein in your diet.
- Ease up on the coffee, or at least your caffeine intake. When you are stuck inside all amped up on caffeine it can actually feed your agitation.
- Keep your brain active when your body can't be. If you have to be cooped up inside invite some friends over and play some brain teasers or download a fun app that makes you think. Anything besides binge watching mindless TV for hours on end. Apparently when your brain and body are inactive that is when you can become listless and depressed.
I know that when you are already lacking motivation some of these might be hard to talk yourself into doing but baby steps, try doing at least one a day. You never know it might help bring you outta that funk!